Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2013

Happy New Year!


What better way to ring in the New Year than with family, friends, and a cake?  I hadn't planned on making this cake.  I was organizing my supplies and realized that I had some materials that were going to spoil soon and I hate seeing things go to waste.  So I thought what better way to use them up than to make a cake.  As I was designing this cake I found myself reflecting on all the wonderful changes that have happened in my life during the past year.  I am so excited to find out what 2013 has in store and I thought a countdown clock cake was a great way to capture that anticipation.

This is a two layer 9-inch chocolate cake filled with almond buttercream and cherry preserves.  I've never used preserves in a filling before, but the combinations of flavors was delicious!  The cake is covered in and decorated with vanilla fondant.  I made a mirror ball out of a styrofoam ball and silver embellishments at my niece's request for her birthday cake several years ago and I just loved the way it came out.  I have kept it in a little container with my supplies just in case I ever needed it again (because you never know when you'll need a 3 inch mirror ball:)  As I was decorating this cake I remembered that little ball and thought what a great addition!  I painted the pole it sat on top of with black food coloring to finish it off.  If only I could have made it really move down the pole, maybe next year... :) So here it is, the last cake I made of 2012.





Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment