Search This Blog

Monday, January 7, 2013

And it begins...again!


Little Miss with her 2 month cake-Banana
cake with cream cheese icing

So my intention of starting this blog over a year ago was sincere, the actual execution of it was another story.  Since my first post there have been many life events that have veered this blog off course.  My husband changed jobs which entailed relocating from the city to the suburbs.  Needless to say the move was extensive and time consuming, but extremely worthwhile.  But the most exciting event was finding out that we were expecting our first child!  Emma was born this past August and she has changed our lives in ways we could never have imagined.  With the arrival of the New Year I thought this was the perfect time to resurrect the blog I wanted to start so long ago.

I am currently on maternity leave and, needless to say, all of my time has been consumed with her care; but, I have still found time to bake and more importantly she has provided a wonderful new source of inspiration.  As she has gotten older I have found myself having a little more free time.  The most important part is planning in advance and breaking the whole cake production into small steps.

When Emma was born I decided to commemorate each month of the first year of her life with a cake...of course I took this challenge on BEFORE having a newborn and realizing that my time would never be my own again, but I was determined to do this for her.  Even though she is too young to enjoy the actual cake, I love the idea of her being able to look back at each month of her first year and realize that we truly celebrated each month and all the important milestones she reached.  It also gave me an external goal to focus on and deadline to meet which I truly enjoy.  Some cakes have been better than others, but overall I'm just happy to make them.

Emma is now four and half months old, so I thought I would post the first four cakes in this post and then devote one post for each of the cakes to come.  I haven't decided on a theme for her 5 month cake and suggestions are certainly welcome!





This was Emma's first cake.  It is a 6-inch double layer chocolate cake with buttercream icing and fondant accents.  






This cake almost didn't get made on time!  It was another 6-inch double layer cake but this time I made vanilla cake with almond buttercream icing.









Emma was born on August 24th which meant her  four month birthday fell on Christmas Eve.  I took that and ran with it:)  This was a red velvet cake with green cream cheese icing and fondant lettering.  I didn't split the cake and I only iced the top creating more of a giant cupcake appearance.  The surrounding mini cupcakes are also red velvet and topped them with crushed peppermint candies.


I should also note that my husband is the photographer in the family so when the pictures look professional it's most likely because he took them.  Unfortunately that isn't his day job, so on the occasions when he isn't home I attempt to capture the cakes...you can probably tell which of the above pictures I took:)

No comments:

Post a Comment