Search This Blog

Monday, January 28, 2013

Fondant Roses


I wanted to give you a more detailed look at how I made the roses from the Vines and Roses cake in my last post.  I was so disappointed that I hadn't taken pictures as I was making them, but I had some extra time today and a little practice is always helpful.  I have red fondant that I thought would be perfect to demonstrate them with and a good way to start preparing for Valentine's Day.


First I rolled out the fondant on parchment paper using  
a mini fondant roller, approximately 8 inches long.


I then cut out 10 discs using the wide end
 of a Wilton #126 piping tip.
The next step is to roll out a small cone from the fondant
which will serve as the support for the rose.
                 
   
The first disc is molded around the cone leaving a
small space between the cone and top half of the disc.
The second disc gets molded on the other side of the
cone and overlaps the edges of the first disc.
This creates a small rosebud appearance.
The next three discs are placed slightly higher then
and overalpping the first two discs.
 With each layer I spread the top of each
 petal out to give the look of an opening rose.
The third layer of 5 petals are placed around the cone.
When the rose is complete, I pinch the base to remove any
excess fondant and place it in a piping tip to harden.
Here's a close up shot of the hardended rose. 

The roses will keep in an airtight container until you are ready to use them. Before placing them on the cake you can dust them with a little luster dust for a more finished look. These are fun to make and take only a few minutes to put together if you have all your materials ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment