Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Cupcake Challenge Cupcakes-Production Notes

So the cupcakes for the challenge are in the process of being judged. There were some amazing entries-   it's almost hard to believe they are edible!  My cupcakes were very simple (probably too simple), but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't expect to win.  I was just happy to set a short term goal and finish it!  It made me feel as though I had accomplished something, which these days is a great feeling! Anyway, I thought I would break down the production of these.  As any mom knows, anything you want to do with an infant to take care of requires planning and patience...


The first step was to make the white chocolate "cup" that the central cupcake sits in.  I did this a few days prior to decorating the cupcakes.  First, I melted down vanilla chocolate discs in a double boiler than brushed the melted chocolate into a cupcake liner that I set in a muffin tin.  I set the whole tin in the refrigerator to let the chocolate harden.  This doesn't take long, but I let it stay there for a while.  











I kept the liner on and didn't remove until I was plating the cupcakes.  In retrospect I should have brushed a second layer of chocolate to strengthen the shell. Mine ended up breaking while I was taking the paper off, but I was able to salvage half of it for the picture.













I baked the cupcakes a few days later while my daughter was napping:)  I used a basic Vanilla cake recipe from Wilton which I halved.  This gave me six regular size cupcakes and 12 mini cupcakes.  I wasn't going to use the mini cupcakes but I'm glad I made them because, as you saw, they ended up being a nice complement and filled up some empty space on the plate. I used gold cupcake liners for the minis and antique themed liners for the bigger ones.





I had some icing in the refrigerator from previous cakes that I used to decorate these. I just dyed the mauve cupcakes with food gel.  I piped the icing on using a star tip and piping bag.  The flowers are supposed to be lilies.  I don't have any flower presses yet so I tried to do the the best I could with my hands.  The blue lilies are fondant and the pink flowers are made from gumpaste which I dyed with mauve food gel.  The leaves are also gum paste dyed green.  I thought the colors were a great match for the colors of the challenge.  It isn't always easy to get the exact color you're looking for and you don't always know how they will photograph, but I think these were pretty close.  You can check the colors out here and tell me what you think http://design-seeds.com/index.php/home/entry/teacup-vintage.

At first I only intended on using the middle cupcake, but when I placed it on the cake plate (which as a side note was a gift from a friend and I absolutely love it!) it just didn't look right...to much empty space.  It also didn't help that the white chocolate "cup" broke as I was unwrapping it.  This was a good lesson in making sure you always have a back up!  So I decided to use the mini cupcakes and balance out the plate a little better.  I think it made for a pretty, understated presentation.  When I look at the picture, I just want to grab a cupcake and that's exactly how I hope other people feel when they look at it.  Of course, I must thank my husband for taking the pictures-he managed to fit this in even though he was working and had the flu!  That's true love:)

Although the cupcakes were simple compared to many of the other entries, I was pleased with the final product.  I don't do this professionally and I don't have an unlimited amount of time or resources to allot to these projects.  For me this was more about thinking of a project, feeling inspired and motivated, and baking something I would be proud of.  As my husband said, "It's not about winning, it's about participating."  I'll post the link to the Web site when they announce who the winner is.

I have another project lined up this week which I'm in the process of planning, but it's a surprise for someone so I don't want to give away too much info in case by some wild chance they read my blog:)

No comments:

Post a Comment