Search This Blog

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Best Laid Plans

So the cupcakes for the cupcake challenge are finished and the photos are being processed.  Luckily my husband was able to snap some shots before going to work today so I'll be able to post them before Monday!  I had a whole plan for what I thought these cupcakes were going to look like and they ended up completely different.  It's a lesson I've learned before...you can plan everything out on paper, but when you actually start a cake project it tends to take on a life of it's own.  Colors don't come out the shade you planned, the icing isn't the consistency you thought it would be, the flowers you wanted to make by hand look less like roses and more like calla lilies-but somehow it works and sometimes even better than you could have imagined.  That's the beauty of making cakes.  While the actual baking requires a certain level of precision, the decorating can be spontaneous and really keeps you on your toes.  I've learned to not get too stuck on a design and to let the materials take the lead.  If you can't be flexible you can end up feeling like a failure and missing out on the joy of the creating. 

I'm happy with the way the cupcakes turned out.  Of course there are things I would change, but I'm usually my own worse critic.  I promised myself I wouldn't look at the other entries until I finished mine.  I didn't want to be influenced by any of the other designs and I also didn't want to be intimidated.  There were only about a dozen entries when I looked last, but the deadline isn't until Monday the 14th so I'm sure more will be posted over the weekend.  Check out all the great entries at http://cakecentral.com/g/a/3282121/cupcake-challenge-1/.  Stay tuned for the pictures of my entry! 

No comments:

Post a Comment